Sunday, July 15, 2012

An Tir/ West War, SCA event

I spent many years in college studying theatrical costume design. At one point in my life I imagined I might work at some Shakespeare theater or better yet, with the Cirque du Soliel. I love stepping back in time, exploring the clothing and techniques that people used and then creating something inspired by what I've learned.



As life moved forward, my opportunities as a costume designer changed and evolved into other venues, but once in awhile I have an chance to indulge in my passion for historical costume.

If any of you are familiar with the SCA, society for Creative Anachronisms, then you might understand. This is a worldwide group of folk who are dedicated to researching and re-creating the arts and skills of pre-17th-century Europe. They put on many gatherings throughout the year to celebrate this passion.

The Western King & Queens Throne
I recently had the pleasure of attending one of these events a few miles north of Gold Beach, Oregon. This is one of my favorite sites, being surrounded by low foothills covered in trees. This event is called the An Tir/ West War. Neighboring kingdoms meet up and battle. There is a marketplace with period wares, several regional baronies attending, period workshops and of course, lots of merriment. I love it.

The Castle Battle

Here are a few photos to give you a peek inside!

My pavilion

Allyshian Barony Encampment

The Romans


No comments:

Post a Comment